Lyndhurst was founded in 1917, originally a part of Rutherford that voted to become its own township. The first known families were of Dutch origin, but later when the railroads came through in 1872, Polish immigrants began to arrive for work. Some Italian families from New York settled in Lyndhurst buying small plots of land for crops. Irish and German families came into town for more jobs as the farm industry and other small shops opened up with the growing populations. Schools and houses were built to accommodate the growing number of people. By 1960, the population was 21,867. The Meadowlands Development Corporation was established in 1968, creating more business. The diverse town is now considered a “country” town with a friendly “hometown” atmosphere.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.